Lesson 5 – How to Find Personal Peace
Have you ever felt as though something was missing in your life? Have you ever asked, “How can I find deeper meaning? How can I find peace of mind?” Have you ever wondered, “Is there anything more to life than getting up in the morning and going to work every day and coming home and eating supper and watching television and going to bed, getting up and doing the same thing the next day and the next? Is there anything more to life than the humdrum of the daily routine?”
Suppose someone discovered a pill that would guarantee permanent peace of mind. Its producer would probably become a multimillionaire overnight. Everywhere people are looking for personal peace. Multitudes are burdened with guilt. Feeling insecure, emotionally troubled, and unaccepted produces an inner void. Mind-related diseases such as stomach ulcers, heart attacks, and nervous breakdowns are the scourge of our society. One root cause of these diseases is an inner sense of restlessness.
Our lesson today focuses on God’s solution to the problem of guilt. It presents the only real answer to the problem of how to find peace of mind.
1. What is our status with God as the result of sin? Romans 3:19
The Bible Answer: All the world may become guilty before God
The reason we lack inner peace is a sense of guilt. Whether we always realize it or not, there is something eating away at us inside. Unless we deal with the problem of guilt, we will never have real peace.
2. How universal is the problem of sin, which produces guilt? Romans 3:23
The Bible Answer: For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
3. What are the wages or consequences of sin? Romans 6:23 (first part)
The Bible Answer: Death-
Left to ourselves, we are caught in a vicious cycle. We are separated from God. Our hearts are filled with guilt. We are restless and lack inner peace. We feel guilty, unaccepted and unloved.
4. Why is death the natural result of sin? Isaiah 59:2
The Bible Answer: Your iniquities have separated you from your God-
God is the source of life. Sin separates us from God. It has separated us from the only source of life. The plan of salvation is God’s process to bridge the gap caused by sin. Through Christ we are reunited with God.
5. What is God’s solution to the problem of sin? John 3:16
The Bible Answer: For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will have everlasting life.
6. Why did Jesus have to come to this world and die for our sins? Was His death necessary? Hebrews 2:9, 14
The Bible Answer: Might taste death for everyone…through death He might destroy the devil-
Because God’s nature is love, He would not leave us to perish without hope. He took the penalty of sin upon Himself. In His death on the cross He broke the stronghold of death.
7. How can Christ’s life take the place of my imperfect life? What does His death have to do with my eternal death? Isaiah 53:4-6, 12
The Bible Answer: He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows, wounded for our transgressions-
The Old Testament prophet Isaiah uses these expressions declaring Christ was “wounded for our transgressions,” “bruised for our iniquities [sins],” “numbered with the transgressors,” and He “bore the sins of many.” In the plan of salvation, Jesus bears the guilt of our sins. He credits His perfect righteousness to our account. We owe a sin debt that we can never pay. Jesus paid the enormous debt through the shedding of His blood. He died the death we deserve so we might live the life He deserves.
8. How does the apostle Paul describe Jesus bearing our sin? 2 Corinthians 5:21
The Bible Answer: For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us
Jesus never sinned. He became sin or accepted the guilt of our sin voluntarily. When Christ died on Calvary’s cross, He willingly assumed all the guilt of our sins. As the divine Son of God He became a human being, lived the perfect life we should have lived, and died the death we should have died. He is our loving Savior.
9. What does the Bible say Jesus became for us? Galatians 3:13
The Bible Answer: A curse
Jesus became a curse for us. All of the guilt of sin rested upon Him when He died on the cross. He bore sins’ curse of condemnation. Everything I deserved, He received.
10. How does God save us? Is salvation something we earn by our good works? Ephesians 2:8
The Bible Answer: By grace you have been saved through faith.
11. What question did a heathen jailer ask Paul and Silas 2,000 years ago that speaks for all of us? Acts 16:30
The Bible Answer: Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
12. What answer did Paul give the Philippian jailer regarding his salvation? Acts 16:31
The Bible Answer: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved
Believing is simply receiving the grace God so freely offers. God’s plan for saving us is simple. It is so simple that anyone can understand it. Often it has been made so complicated that few can understand it. There are four basic steps in receiving Christ. Let’s look at each one of them.
13. What promise does Jesus give to those who open their hearts to believe in Jesus and accept Him as their personal Saviour? 1 John 5:11-13
The Bible Answer: He who has the Son has life; you have eternal life
To receive Jesus is to receive His gift of eternal life. If we have accepted Jesus and by faith believe He is our personal Savior, we can have the assurance of eternal life. Guilt is gone. According to God’s Word, we are “accepted in the beloved” (Ephesians 1:6). We have redemption through His blood (Ephesians 1:7). We are adopted into the family of God and are now part of the royal family of heaven. Would you like to open your heart right now and receive the gift of eternal life Christ so freely offers?
* Texts credited to NKJV are from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1979, 1980, 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.