Lesson 12 – Christ’s Special Sign
The book of Revelation presents God’s final message for a world in deep trouble. It is a message especially designed for a people living during the final, climactic hours of earth’s history. It is a universal message that leaps across geographical boundaries. It is a message for all nations, tribes, languages, and peoples. It is an urgent, compelling message of good news. It is an urgent appeal for men and women everywhere to prepare for the soon return of Christ.
As we have studied in our previous lessons, only in Christ are men and women capable of meeting the claims of God’s law in earth’s final judgment hour. God’s last-day message is a message of surrender and commitment.
In this secular, materialistic age of humanistic thinking, many have dismissed the idea of a God who created the heavens and the earth. The theory of evolution has replaced the Bible teaching of creation. It is not surprising to find God sounding a clarion call to worship Christ as our Creator in the Bible’s last book, Revelation.
1. Who is Revelation 14:6, 7 calling us to worship?
Answer: Him who made heaven, and earth, and sea and the fountains of water
Revelation’s final appeal to mankind is a call to worship the one who made heaven and earth and the fountains of waters (verse 7). It is a call to worship our Maker or Creator.
2. What is the basis of all worship? Revelation 4:11
Answer: Receive glory, and honor and power
3. Who was the active agent in Creation? Ephesians 3:8, 9; Colossians 1:15, 16
Answer: Jesus Christ
4. How do we worship Christ as the Creator? Has He left a memorial of His creative activity? Exodus 20:8-11
Answer: Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy
5. Wasn’t the Sabbath given only for the Jews? Mark 2:27, 28
Answer: The Sabbath was made for man
6. What three things did God do to set aside and distinguish the seventh day from all other days of the week? Genesis 2:1-3
Answer: rested, blessed and sanctified.
7. What is the Sabbath called in the Old Testament? Ezekiel 20:12, 20
Answer: A sign
8. What was Jesus’ practice or custom on the Sabbath? Luke 4:16
Answer: He went into the synagogues on the Sabbath day
If Jesus was going to establish another day, He would have done it while He was still alive. He left a positive example of Sabbath-keeping in His life.
9. What counsel did Jesus give His disciples regarding the Sabbath after His death? Matthew 24:20
Answer: Pray that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath.
The Roman general Titus attacked Jerusalem and destroyed it in A.D. 70. Jesus urged His disciples to pray their flight from Jerusalem during the Roman attack would not be in the winter or on the Sabbath day. Jesus specifically gave the instructions “Pray that your flight be not in the winter or on the Sabbath day” because He knew His closest followers would be keeping the Sabbath 35 years after the crucifixion.
10. What groups did Paul preach to on the Bible Sabbath? Acts 13:27, 42, 44
Answer: a. rulers/dwell in Jerusalem b. the Jews c. the Gentiles
Paul preached to the Jews on the Sabbath, convincing them Jesus was the Messiah. He also preached to the Gentiles on Sabbath not Sunday. Eventually the whole city listened to Paul’s Sabbath preaching.
11. What is the Lord’s special day called? Revelation 1:10
Answer: The Lord’s day
12. According to the following texts, what is another name for the Lord’s day? Luke 6:5; Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27, 28
13. Does the Bible actually reveal which day is the seventh day? What three days does the Bible mention in succession? Luke 23:54-56; Luke 24:1
Answer: Preparation day, Sabbath, first day
PREPARATION DAY-SIXTH DAY-FRIDAY
What other ways can we tell which day is the seventh day?
Webster’s Dictionary: “Seventh day, Saturday, the seventh day of the week” (Webster’s New Twentieth Century Dictionary, unabridged 2nd ed. ).
Astronomy: “We have had occasion to investigate the results of the works of specialists in Chronology and we have never found one of them that has had the slightest doubt about the continuity of the weekly cycle since long before the Christian Era” (U.S. Naval Observatory, James Robertson, director, quoted in March 12, 1932, letter to F. D. Nichol).
Language: In more than 106 languages of the world, the seventh day on our calendar called Saturday is translated Sabbath. There is no word for Saturday in these languages. The seventh day is simply called Sabbath
14. What does God offer those who lovingly keep His Sabbath? Isaiah 56:2
Answer: Blessed is the man
God offers those who obey Him His richest blessings. The Sabbath is Christ’s great sign of loyalty. It is a sign of His creative and redemptive power. On this day in a special sense Christians have an invitation to enter into a closer union with the Master.
15. What promise does God make regarding Sabbath worship in heaven? Isaiah 66:22, 23
Answer: From one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me.
What a promise! Through the ceaseless ages of eternity all flesh, the entire creation, will worship God in harmony each Sabbath. If we are going to worship Him through all eternity, why not start worshiping Him on the Sabbath now? Jesus invites us to love Him with all our hearts and follow truth regardless of what others do. The book of Revelation calls us to worship Him as our Creator. The Sabbath message is part of God’s urgent effort to prepare a people for earth’s last hour. Pray that Jesus will fill your heart with love. Follow His example in worshiping Him on the Bible Sabbath.