Lesson 4 - The Manner of Christ’s Coming
As the world races into this new millennium, have you ever considered what our greatest need is? What do men and women living in the twenty-first century need most? If you were starving to death, it might be food. If you were homeless, it might be a place to live. If disease ravaged your body, it might be medicine. If you were lonely and discouraged, it might be love. Is there one thing that, if you had it, could take you through any difficulty you might face in life? Is there one thing that can make the human spirit soar? All over the world people are desperately looking for hope. Someone has well said, “What oxygen is to the lungs, hope is to the human spirit.” Hope buoys up our spirits. It lifts our vision from what is to what will be. It is a candle in the darkness. It provides encouragement for the future. The Bible is filled with the best hope of all—the hope of our Lord’s return.
1. What hopeful promise did Jesus give in John 14:1-3The Bible Answer: I will come again.
Just before Jesus ascended to heaven, He assured His followers, "I will come again." The fact that Jesus is coming to the world a second time is as certain as the reality that He lived on this earth 2,000 years ago. There is hope on the way.
2. What does the apostle Paul call the second coming of Christ? Titus 2:13
The Bible Answer: The blessed hope and glorious appearing.
3. Have Bible prophets predicted the coming of Christ throughout the centuries? Psalm 50:3; Jude 14
The Bible Answer: Yes. Now Enoch...behold the Lord comes with thousands of His saints Our God shall come and shall not keep silent.
Bible writers down through the ages have predicted the coming of the Lord. For every prophecy in the Old Testament predicting the first coming of Jesus as a baby in Bethlehem's manger, there are eight on the second coming of Christ. His coming is mentioned in every book of the New Testament except the small book of Philemon.
4. How will Christ return when He comes to this earth? Will His coming be a real, literal event or simply a spiritual coming into our hearts? Acts 1:9-11
The Bible Answer: This same Jesus, will come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.
Jesus' ascension to heaven was a real, literal event. His return will again be a very real, literal event.
5. How many will see Jesus when He comes? Revelation 1:7
The Bible Answer: Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him.
Both the righteous and the wicked will see Jesus coming in the clouds of the sky when He returns again the second time. Every living inhabitant of our globe will witness the Second Advent. Christ's return will overshadow every other event on Planet Earth. No one will need to tell you when Jesus returns. You will see His coming!
6. What does the Bible compare Jesus' coming to? Matthew 24:27
The Bible Answer: For as lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west
7. Will Christ's return be a secret, silent coming? 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17
The Bible Answer: Descend with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God-
Jesus' coming will be like a mighty blast of a trumpet. Everyone everywhere will hear it.
8. Who will return with Jesus when He comes? Matthew 16:27
The Bible Answer: Come in the glory of His Father with His angels
Jesus' second coming will be the mighty climax of all the ages. He will be surrounded by all His holy angels. Try to imagine what that glorious scene will be like.
9. How does the Bible describe the awesome majesty of our Lord's return? Matthew 24:30; Matthew 16:27
The Bible Answer: Coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory
Jesus came silently once. Although angels sang "Glory to God in the highest" in shepherds' fields outside of Bethlehem, only a few had any idea the baby born in Bethlehem was the eternal Son of God. When He comes the second time, He will come in "power and great glory" in spectacular splendor visible to the entire world.
10. If someone tells you Christ's coming will be in secret, should you believe it? Matthew 24:23
The Bible Answer: Do not believe it.
11. What thrilling climactic event will take place when Christ returns? 1 Corinthians 15:51-53
The Bible Answer: The dead will be raised incorruptible; we will be changed.
12. Everyone on earth will have one of two reactions when Jesus comes: A. What will be the reaction of the lost? Revelation 6:14-16. B. What will the reaction of the righteous be? Isaiah 25:9
The Bible Answer: A. Hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks
Filled with guilt and fear, the unsaved run from the Christ who loves them and longs to save them. They have rejected His mercy and turned their backs on His love. Now frightened, they flee to shield themselves from His glory. What a tragic ending.
The Bible Answer: B. We have waited for Him; we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.
The saved long for His return. Their hearts are filled with joy. He is their Friend, their Savior, their Lord and their King. They delight in His presence here and will delight in it through all eternity
13. When is the time to prepare for the coming of the Lord? 2 Corinthians 6:2
The Bible Answer: Now is the accepted time; now is the day of salvation
14. What event does Jesus liken His coming to? Why? Matthew 24:42, 43
The Bible Answer: He will come swiftly, quickly, at a time when we least expect Him, the thief would come-not allowed his house to be broken into
Jesus likened His coming to a thief breaking into a house. This does not mean Christ will come secretly. It means He will come swiftly, quickly, at a time we least expect Him.
15. Since Jesus is coming unexpectedly, what counsel does He give us? Matthew 24:44
The Bible Answer: Be ready-
To be ready for the coming of Jesus means to eagerly anticipate His coming. It means a heart-longing for His return. It involves a life committed to doing His will. Love for Him leads us to long to be with Him throughout eternity.